A 5 week upholstery course on Friday mornings from 10am til 1pm. This is designed as a taster course for people who want to try their hand at upholstery and to experience a little of what it is about. If you are a new comer you must start with a dining chair or piano stool or a couple of drop in seats – something small – if you wish to be hopeful of finishing it by the end of the 5 weeks. There is more to it than meets the eye! You’ll learn about the tools and materials that we use and how to handle them. We cannot guarantee that you will finish your project in the 5 sessions as this depends on the condition of your project and what your learning means to you – but we try our utmost to get you there! There will likely be other returners in the class and this enhances your learning, giving you a little insight into what might lay ahead for you. Please send a photo of your project to make sure it is suitable for this course.
With the appropriate project, you should require no more than a metre of good fabric which you should bring to the first or second session.
**Returners, please note, that as of this term, there is an additional storage fee to cover the cost of a storage room. Armchairs including some nursing chairs will be charged £65 per term and extra large chairs (depth or width is over 73cm) £120 per term. Most students will find that the new storage room means they can independently and safely retrieve their project and return it to the same place at the end of the session. This fee is paid at your first session, by card.** If you are unsure if you will be charged a storage fee, please do ask the tutor.
Everyone must send a photo of their project prior to the course. If you need any guidance, please do get in touch via email to email@example.com
Please do check out the FAQs page on the website for answers to frequently asked questions.
The classes can include:
- Complete or partial ripping out and reupholstery
- Or only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them; practising tacking, making cuts, tensioning materials correctly
- Choosing and sourcing appropriate upholstery fabric; pro’s and con’s of different fabrics; Martindale Test
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making a trimming
- other topics might include looking at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
Students provide their own fabric and trimmings or buttons with guidance and help from the tutor. Any materials used in the workshop are paid for at the end of the term.
Fee £280 per person + materials + storage if applicable (see note above)