This is a leisure class on Tuesday afternoons from 1:30pm -4pm and you bring your own project to work on. The tutor will give you lots of 1 to 1 instruction as the classes are small and comprised of beginners and experienced alike. You do not have to have any previous experience but as a beginner or newcomer, you start with something like a dining chair, a footstool, some drop in seats, a pin cushion seat or a small nursing chair. Everyone must send me a photo of their project prior to the course. If you need any guidance, please do get in touch via email to email@example.com
**Please note, that as of this term, there is an additional storage fee to cover the cost of a storage room. Armchairs (including some nursing chairs) will be charged £65 per term and extra large chairs (depth and width are over 73cm) £120 per term. Most students will find that the new storage room means they can independently and safely retrieve their project and return it to the same place at the end of the session. This fee is paid at your first session, by card.** If you are unsure if you will be charged a storage fee, please do ask the tutor.
The classes can include:
- Complete or partial ripping out and reupholstery
- Or only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them; practising cuts around posts and rails; buttoning work
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making piping and double piping
- Each term we try to look at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
There is the option on Tuesday to enrol for the 3 hour morning session which runs from 10am – 1pm – if you wish to attend all day Tuesday, this option is available too.
Fee £465 per person + materials + storage (see note above if this applies)