A 10 week project-based upholstery course on Tuesday mornings from 10am til 1pm. Bring your own project and if you are a newcomer you should start with something small like a dining chair, a footstool, piano stool or drop in seats. Or something with only two planes – a seat and a flat back. Send a photo of your project to the tutor to confirm. Classes are comprised of small groups of 4-6 students, so you receive plenty of 1:1 instruction, demonstration and guidance as well as group learning for other different topics.
You’ll be exposed to a range of projects and skill levels so if you are a beginner, this will give you a little insight into what might lay ahead for you.
**Please note, that as of this term, there is an additional storage fee to cover the cost of a storage room. Armchairs (including some nursing chairs) will be charged £65 per term and extra large chairs (depth and width are over 73cm) £120 per term. Most students will find that the new storage room means they can independently and safely retrieve their project and return it to the same place at the end of the session. This fee is paid at your first session, by card.** If you are unsure if you will be charged a storage fee, please do ask the tutor.
Everyone must send a photo of their project prior to the course. If you need any guidance, please do get in touch via email to email@example.com
Please do check out the FAQs page on the website for answers to frequently asked questions.
The classes can include:
- Complete or partial ripping out and reupholstery
- Or only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them
- Choosing and sourching appropriate upholstery fabric
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making piping and double piping
- Each term we try to look at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
Students provide their own fabric and trimmings or buttons with guidance and help from the tutor. Any materials used in the workshop are paid for at the end of the term.
Fee £555 per person + materials + storage (see above if this applies to you)
Early Bird Offer £530 until 1/12/2023