A full day of project-based learning from 10am til 4pm every Tuesday for 10 weeks. What could be better?!
Ideal for those students who wish to speed up their learning or wish to have more time each week to work on an advanced project – such as a traditional armchair or a large project such as a wingback or club chair. Beginners are completely welcome here too as it is an opportunity to pick up your learning pace. As a beginner, you should start with a small achievable project such as a dining chair, fauteuil, footstool or small nursing chair. Please email me for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org and take a look at the FAQs page for guidelines to choosing an appropriate project.
As a more experienced upholsterer, you will be organised and encouraged to set out an order of work for your project, to choose appropriate waddings and fillings, to anticipate the next task, but always with the tutor’s guidance and support. You’ll pick up tips to improve your skills and techniques but also be expected to show that you can progress more quickly. Obviously everyone works at their own pace depending on their skill level, but through group and individual learning, you’ll be carefully guided with hands-on demonstrations and instructions.
The classes can include:
- Complete ripping out and reupholstery
- Only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making piping and double piping
- Each term we try to look at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at email@example.com and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
There is the option on Thursdays to enrol for the afternoon session which runs from 1:30pm til 4pm (see Thursday Afternoon Upholstery) or enrol for the whole day from 10 til 4pm (see Thursday All Day Upholstery).
There is a half hour lunch break at 1pm.
Fee is £770 + materials