This is a 10 week course on Monday evenings 6:30pm til 9pm. All levels are welcome.
If you have no previous experience, you’ll need an appropriate ‘starter’ project such as a dining chair, piano stool, footstool or a drop in seat or two, or a small nursing chair. It should be something small while you get to grips with the workshop, your tools, all the materials and how we handle them. The course is designed to give you the tips and techniques to complete your project and to enhance your understanding of this craft. As you progress, the tutor will guide you with choosing subsequent projects. Class size is a maximum of 6 students, so there is loads of 1:1 instruction. A teaching assistant attends this class as well, so someone is always on hand to help you.
To avoid disappointment, please ensure you have the right project for this course by emailing a photo of your project to firstname.lastname@example.org and do check out the FAQs page for guidelines and advice.
The classes include:
- Complete ripping out and reupholstery
- Only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making piping and double piping
- Each term we try to look at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at email@example.com and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
Students will provide their own fabric and any trimming or buttons. Any materials used in the workshop are added up towards the end of the course and paid for.
Fee: £390 + materials