This is an option to enrol for a full day – either all day on Tuesdays or all day on Thursdays. A full day of project-based learning from 10am til 4pm for 10 weeks. What could be better?!
Ideal for those students who wish to speed up their learning or wish to have more time each week to work on an advanced project – such as a traditional armchair or a large project such as a wingback or club chair. Beginners are completely welcome here too as it is an opportunity to pick up your learning pace. As a newcomer, you should start with a small achievable project such as a fauteuil or small nursing chair or something with two flat plans – a seat and a back. But please email me for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org and take a look at the FAQs page for guidelines to choosing an appropriate project.
As a more experienced upholsterer, you will be organised and encouraged to set out an order of work for your project, to choose appropriate waddings and fillings, to anticipate the next task, but always with the tutor’s guidance and support. You’ll pick up tips to improve your skills and techniques but also be expected to show that you can progress more quickly. Obviously everyone works at their own pace depending on their skill level, but through group and individual learning, you’ll be carefully guided with hands-on demonstrations and instructions.
**Please note, that as of this term, there is an additional storage fee to cover the cost of a storage room. Armchairs (including some nursing chairs) will be charged £65 per term and extra large chairs (depth or width is over 73cm) £120 per term. Most students will find that the new storage room means they can independently and safely retrieve their project and return it to the same place at the end of the session. This fee is paid at your first session, by card.** If you are unsure if you will be charged a storage fee, please do ask the tutor.
The classes can include:
- Complete or partial ripping out and reupholstery
- Only removing the top fabric and recovering
- Traditional & modern upholstery techniques, tools and materials and how we handle them
- Simple wood cleaning and reviving techniques and small project repairs
- Choosing upholstery fabrics and trimmings, making piping and double piping
- Order of work, making Y and T cuts, scroll fronts and pleats, buttoning & Van Dyking, problem solving
- Each term we try to look at a chair or fabric designer, developments in sustainability and other aspects of the upholstery trade
- Email me a photo of your project prior to the course at email@example.com and check out the FAQs page for guidance and advice. Feel free to email me if you think you need advice on a project.
There is a half hour lunch break at 1pm.
Fee is £795 + materials
Early Bird Offer £745 until 1/12/2024